Tuesday, July 29, 2003

Jesus Saves

Today at work when I was in the restroom pinching a loaf during my break, I started to read the graffiti on the stall walls. There was the usual phrases: Fuck you, I suck dick, _ _ _ is a whore,etc., and then there was one that kind of stood out. Right in front of me, etched into the stall door, was Jesus saves.

Christian graffiti is uncommon, but if you take enough craps in public restrooms, you'll see some. And believe me, I've taken enough craps. So, it wasn't the fact that it was religious in nature, among all the other filthy language, that made Jesus saves stand out. It was the thought that occured to me when I read it.

Under normal circumstances I would not vandalize other's property, so I had to convince myself that these were not normal circumstances. What I was about to inscribe upon this restroom stall door was not just another graffito utilizing a curse word in some not-so-clever anti-homosexual phrase, nor was it some infantile poem detailing the writer's bout with constapation, ending in the line "But only farted." (You know the one.) No, what I was about to write was far more intelligent, far more poetic. I couldn't just keep this all to myself; I had to share it with the whole world. Yes, what I was about to write was art! And this door was my canvas.

As I washed my hands, a wry smile spread across my face. I looked in the mirror at the stall I had just exited. The stall door slowly swung close, the canvas still wet from the artitst's pen strokes. It read:

Jesus saves
up to 15%
with GEICO

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now