Thursday, July 24, 2003

Antidisestablishmentarianist

Guy1. D'you know what the longest word in the dictionary is?

Guy2. Is this a joke?

Guy1. No, I'm asking you. Do you know?

Guy2. No, what?

Guy1. "Antidisestablishmentarianist."

Guy2. Oh. (pause) Is it hyphenated?

Guy1. I don't think so. Why?

Guy2. I don't think it would count as the longest if it was hyphenated.

Guy1. Well, I don't think it is.

Guy2. What does it mean?

Guy1. I think it is someone who is against the downfall of a society. "Anti" "disestablishment."

Guy2. Oh. (pause) Wouldn't it just be easier to say "proestablishmentarianist?" Someone who is for the "establishment?"

Guy1. (thinking) Yeah, I guess so. But it wouldn't be as long of a word that way.

Guy2. Oh. Good point.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now