Friday, August 01, 2003

Adaptation

My new favorite movie is Adaptation. I really enjoy ironic humor, and Adaptation is chalk-full of it. I laughed some during the movie, but I think I've laughed more since I've watched it and have realized some of the more ironic things that happened/were said.

I think my favorite instance of this is when Donald is telling Charlie about his script with the guy with cop/serial-killer/victim split-personalities. Charlie angrilly tells Donald that "the only idea more overused than serial killers, is multiple personality. On top of that you explore the notion that cop and criminal are really two aspects of the same person. See every cop movie ever made for other examples of this." Thinking about this later made me laugh because, really, what is Donald if not Charlie's alter ego?

I would like to be able to write like this, like Charlie Kaufman. Right now, all the humor in my writing seems to be either sophomoric or overly sarcastic. I guess it's just something I'll have to work on. Thank you, Mr. Kaufman, for inspiring me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now