Saturday, June 14, 2003

That's Pretty Amish of You

I forgot to mention this a while back: I saw a pretty Amish girl the other day. I know, it surprised me, too!

Well, if there are no Amish where you live, you may not understand. You see, the Amish aren't an attractive people. It's not that they're all ugly, but they're all so bland and average (kinda like their clothing). The women usually have robust facial features; they're also seldom thin, and often rather manish. So, to see an Amish girl that is actually pretty is quite a treat.

So, I see this young Amish woman (about sixteen or seventeen years old) standing in front of me at the check-out lane in Wal-Mart. I wouldn't have thought twice about it except that I noticed she seemed thin, even in her drab, home-made blue dress. She was standing in profile, but I couldn't see her face because of her black bonnet. But then she turned to look behind her and I caught a glimpse at her face. She had a slender face and refined features and several whisps of curly blonde hair draping over her forehead. I would never have guessed that she was Amish -- except for her attire and the large Amish woman and two Amish boys standing in front of her that assumably were her family. She didn't even have a greasy face, rough-looking skin, or any trace of a tan. I noticed that even her hands were dainty and feminine, unlike the thick, rough hands of the aforementioned large Amish woman.

It was almost as if she was just a "normal" girl pretending to be Amish, like she was wearing an Amish Halloween costume or something. I could almost picture her in a tank-top, hip-huggers, and flip-flops. She would fit right in with any other girl her age.

Or maybe she was just trying to start a trend. Like a fringe-of-society trend that will slowly become mainstream. First, there were the punks, then the emo-kids, and now the next big thing is the Amish look!

Well, I don't know about you, but I'm going to go buy some brown work-shirts, suspenders, and a black hat so I can get in on this fad before it becomes so cool that it's uncool. Seeya!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now