Friday, June 13, 2003

Imaginary Conversation #2:
Familiar Female Friend

(The two ride in her car)

FFF: (Out of the blue) Would you go out with me?
McB: What do you mean?
FFF: What do you think it means?
McB: I don't know. Did you mean "Will you go out with me?" or "Would you go out with me?"
FFF: What's the difference?
McB: Well, one's a hypothetical question and the other one is an actual invitation.
FFF: Let's say it's a hypothetical question, what would your answer be?
McB: Ah, a hypothetical question within a hypothetical question.
FFF: (laughs) I know; I'm good!
McB: I guess, if it was a hypothetical situation, I'd go out with you.
FFF: Is your answer different for the non-hypothetical one?
McB: I think so.
FFF: You think so? How can you think so?
McB: Well, I don't know. I mean, yeah sure, it would be cool right now. But what would happen after the summer? We'll go back to living far away from eachother and . . .
FFF: So? We've both done the long-distance thing before.
McB: But I didn't really like it.

(long pause)

McB: What's wrong with 'us' the way we are now?
FFF: Nothing? I don't know . . .
McB: I mean, what would you change? Like, add the . . . physical stuff?
FFF: (laughs) Yeah, "the physical stuff" would be fun. That'd be part of it. But there'd be other, going-out stuff.
McB: Like what?
FFF: I don't know, stuff.
McB: Like, hypothetical stuff or real stuff?
FFF: Real stuff. Very, real stuff.
McB: Ooh, sounds exciting!
FFF: So, is that a 'yes?'
McB: I still don't know.
FFF: You suck.
McB: I know.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now