Tuesday, July 01, 2008

Endless Possibilities

Last week while cashiering at the Pig, an awkward guy came through my line and started talking to me about what I'd studied in school, what work experience I had, and what I planned to do. I tried to answer his questions politely, but there were other customers waiting in line behind him, so I basically shooed him away.

Not long after, he came back through my line, claiming to have forgotten a few things. He gave me his card, asked me when my next day off was, and told me to come in and meet with him. I took the card and was a little astonished that someone would consider hiring me based on my just-polite-enough attitude I have while cashiering. The card read:

Endless Possibilities
Internet Marketing
Ronald W. Lowe
Owner

endless@katewwdb.com
endless.mychoices.biz
endless.wwdb.biz
888-369-5741
Voice, Fax

When I got home after work that night, I took a look at the websites listed on his card. They seemed like nice websites advertising health and beauty products. But something didn't sit right with me. Why were these websites situated on the ass end of the internet on subdomains of some no-name dot-biz domains? Where was the information about the company itself? Where did I fit into this who thing? So, I sent a quick, concise email to Mr. Lowe asking if he could answer some of my questions:

Mr. Lowe,

My name is [Mr. McBastard]. I was your cashier (twice) at the Piggly Wiggly today. I looked at the websites listed on the business card you gave me, but I'm still not clear on what your business is and what opportunities there are available to me. Please explain to me what you company does and how you think I can help you achieve your goals.

Regards,

[Mr. McBastard]

A couple days later, I received a reply:

Hi [Mr. McBastard]

That depends on what your goals are. When the next customer is waiting to checkout, there isn't much time to talk. You seems to have good people skills but no immediate direction in life. I wanted to meet and learn more about you.

Your email message came across as demanding. Insisting on knowing the value of the meeting before the meeting. What my business is, I would hope, obvious from my website. I market heath, beauty, home products and more on the internet.

Perhaps, we will see each other again at Piggly Wiggly. Best of luck to you.

--
Thank you,

Ronald W. and Renee A. Lowe
Endless Possibilities
193 Cambridge Drive
Grayslake, IL 60030
business: 888-369-5741
fax: 888-369-5741
B2C: www.endless.mychoices.biz
B2C: www.endless.wwdb.biz
B2B: www.rlowe6.ordermygift.com

I was a bit perturbed by this response. Why was asking questions about this guy's business met with scolding? What was this guy trying to hide?

So, I did some digging around his sites and discovered that he is a member of Quixtar, the renamed Amway. I had heard of Amway before, but I only had an inkling that it was some sort of pyramid scheme. I did a little internet research and found that it is indeed a pyramid scheme in which the people higher up the ladder try to recruit new people into the scheme and get them to sell products and recruit people of their own. It's not illegal, though, because you don't have to recruit others to make money, but, through bonuses and incentives, you are highly encouraged to.

Anyway, I wasn't about to get caught up in that sort of bullshit. Plus, the guy had irked me with his condescending response. So, I replied thusly:

Mr. Lowe,

My goal is to find a decent job working for an employer who is straightforward. I also wanted to learn more about you and your company. Your email message came across as secretive. Being abruptly defensive about some simple inquiries into your company and the opportunities within makes it seem like you've got something to hide. So, I did some digging.

I am not interested in getting involved in Quixtar, Amway, or any other pyramid scheme which your company is a part of. I may work at a grocery store for the time being and lack "immediate direction in life," but I am not a sap. Good luck recruiting some other poor schmo to sell junk for you on the internet.

--[Mr. McBastard]

I got this reply today:

Again. best of luck to [Mr. McBastard].

--
Thank you,

Ronald W. and Renee A. Lowe
Endless Possibilities
193 Cambridge Drive
Grayslake, IL 60030
business: 888-369-5741
fax: 888-369-5741
B2C: www.endless.mychoices.biz
B2C: www.endless.wwdb.biz
B2B: www.rlowe6.ordermygift.com

Ah, cheap shot taking the "high road," Mr. Lowe. Now I look like the dick! Oh well, that's well-trodden territory for me.

2 comments:

  1. You should have told him that you'd sell his shit if he'd agree to join you as a Jehovah's Witness. Or perhaps a Scientologist--crazy cults abound these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought I'd never say this but I miss you :/

    - Pewpy

    ReplyDelete

Circa Now