Monday, February 19, 2007

Political Christianity

I recently read two interesting articles (America's Most Persecuted Minority by Murray N. Rothbard and The Rise of Christian Fascism and Its Threat to American Democracy by Chris Hedges) that were about completely different subjects, but both led me to the same conclusion: political Christians -- the Christian Right, the moral majority, or whatever you want to call them -- are (and have been) ruining our country.

I'm all for people being allowed to believe what they want to believe. I'm even okay with people telling other people what they should believe -- do what you've got to do, just don't be a dick about it. But once you make a law forcing people to believe like you do, you've gone to far.

I don't have a problem with people smoking dope or tripping acid. I don't have a problem with anyone having access to birth control methods. I don't have a problem with people under the age of twenty-one drinking alcohol. I know you and your god have a problem with it, but what's that got to do with me?

I'm sorry your crazy voodoo god said that you're not allowed to have fun, but don't spoil shit for the rest of us. My God said that I can do pretty much whatever I want as long as I do it responsibly and "do unto others as I would do unto myself."

1 comment:

  1. Jon Stewart had a great guest on a week or so ago who wrote a book titled American Facism (i think) which was pretty much what you are talking about. I want to check it out, but you should beat me to it.

    my voodoo god doesn't want me to lay on the couch eating poptarts and watching star trek all day, dammit. but that's another matter entirely ...

    ReplyDelete

Circa Now