Monday, April 07, 2003

Would I Be My Friend?

I asked a friend recently If you met yourself, would you want to be friends with you? Thinking about all of the qualities that I look for in a friend --a close friend, not just a casual acquaintance -- I don't know if I would be My friend. I know I can be annoying sometimes; my sometimes offensive and tactless sense of humor often gets out of control. I very seldomly have a positive outlook on things, and no matter the argument, I always play Devil's Advocate, even if I know the side I'm arguing for is wrong.

But I guess I'm a pretty tolerant friend, so I might look past these short-comings and see the positive aspects about being friends with Me: I'm loyal -- sometimes to a fault -- sticking up for my close friends no matter what. And despite the mean things I say sometimes, I'm not a malicious person; the last thing I ever want to do is hurt my friend.

So, maybe I would be My friend after all. But even so, it wouldn't be a very smooth friendship; I would most likely be mad at Myself most of the time for all the stupid things I say and do. But if you can't be mad at your friends, who can you be mad at?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now