Tuesday, March 04, 2008

Google Reader

I've been using Google Reader for a couple months now. It's a decent feed reader, and it fits into my recent trend of trying anything and everything web-based. (I dabble with Google Docs and I love Pandora.)

My only complaint with Google Reader is the search functionality. Despite there being advanced search operators in every other type of Google search, there is no such functionality in the Google Reader search. Even in Gmail, which relies on the same concept of starred items and using labels instead of folders, one can search for items with multiple labels. For example, in Gmail I could search for is:starred label:family "visit Joe" if I wanted to find all messages that were starred, had the family label applied, and contained the text "visit Joe."

This is not possible in Google Reader. It is possible to search for a certain text string within all of one given label or within the starred items, but not both at the same time, and not multiple labels at once. I can't understand why the Reader designers didn't include this functionality.

I'm sure it's not as easy as cutting and pasting the code from the Gmail search, but it can't be too hard, can it? Or is this just a feature that they didn't think to implement, despite Reader following the exact same label/star paradigm as Gmail?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now