Wednesday, March 25, 2009

What I've Learned in my Twenty-Sixth Year

I turned twenty-six yesterday. I decided to make a list of things I've learned:

  • Making sudden, life-altering decisions may not work out how I plan
  • It is more valuable and useful to make the decision to change than to decide on what (I hope) that change will be
  • If I want to pay off my debt, I shouldn't quit my job, especially in the middle of a recession
  • I am not well-adapted to work in customer service
  • I am horrible at keeping in contact with good but distant friends (though, I think I already knew this)
  • I have a very skewed perception of how strangers, coworkers, friends, and family view me
  • The Cubs are awesome and the Sox suck ... I guess
  • The thought of going back to school doesn't utterly repulse me anymore
  • I am capable of enduring
  • Apple soda is delicious
  • Possessions -- things, stuff, junk -- are a liability; one that I am happy to eschew when needs be
  • I still really like programming, and I should find a way to get back into it
  • CTA buses don't give change cards
  • I still hate old people

In addition, there are some things that I have failed to learn:

  • Employers do not care about The Way I Think Things Should Be Done™, no matter how efficient, cost-effective, or time-saving I believe it to be (or that it actually is)
  • Why the only emotion I can fluently express is Anger
  • What it is like to live by myself, on my own
  • How to motivate myself to write again
  • How to fix a motorcycle

3 comments:

  1. There are international opportunities for english speaking teachers, and jounalists. It's fun just to look at them. If I had a degree in something, I'd go abroad for the cultural experience. MOM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yeah, how do we see you?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not sure how people view me anymore.

    ReplyDelete

Circa Now