Friday, May 23, 2003

Imaginary Conversation:
Semi-Intimate Lady Friend

McB: So, I guess I'm gonna go.
Lady: Go where?
McB: Back home.
Lady: I thought you were staying the night.
McB: That was before all this shit happened.
Lady: (forlorn) I'm sorry. (pause) Do you hate me now?
McB: No, I don't hate you. I like you. I like being with you. Just you. But today I realized that there is a lot of shit that comes with you that I don't like.
Lady: (indignantly) What does that mean?
McB: It means you've got a lot of stuff going on with your ex-boyfriend still, and I don't want to get caught up in the middle of it again.
Lady: Ex-boyfriend is a dick! I'm never going to see him again.
McB: Yeah, you've said that before. And I've told you that it's probably not a good idea to keep hanging out with him. But the next day you come to me with another story about how he was mean to you again.
Lady: Well, that's over now. For good.
McB: I hope so.
(long pause)
Lady: So, what now?
McB: I'm going to go.
Lady: Come on, stay. Please?
McB: No. I gotta go.
Lady: (pause. then with a confused look) So what was this conversation?
McB: What do you mean?
Lady: Are we . . . breaking . . . up? I don't know. What are we now?
McB: What were we before?
Lady: I don't know. We weren't exactly boyfriend/girlfriend. I don't know. Who cares?
McB: Well, whatever; I guess we should say all that bullshit about how we should just be friends now.
Lady: You have to stay my friend. You're one of the only people that's nice to me anymore.
McB: O.K. I can do that.
Lady: (hopeful) So, maybe later?
McB: "Later" what?
Lady: Maybe later, you and I can . . . do whatever we were doing again?
McB: We'll see. Let's wait and see. (pause) Well, goodbye.
(The two exchange hugs.)
Lady: Bye.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Circa Now